Monday, January 3, 2011

Jan 3 Kodai & PCK


Snack break on the road
On the winding road up to Kodaikanal we stopped at a fruit stand and sampled custard apples, pomegranates, a chinese pear, highland bananas - very dry - another fruit whose name we didn't catch but enjoyed - brown and oval with tough skin and inside a bit like a guava - may have been a guava actually, tree tomatoes which one eats by cutting off the top and sucking out the seeds - the flesh was all right too but tended to shrivel the insides of he mouth


Entrance to PCK 

View up driveway
PCK (Presentation Convent Kodaikanal) is the school where Richard & two elder sisters attended.  


We all boarded here - Richard for ages 6,7 & 8 - leaving for boarding school in England in 1948.  Helen & Diana stayed on until 1952

PCK

Inside the Chapel

1948 Yearbook - Richard 3rd from right in last row

R's sister Diana - centre of middle row

R's sister Helen - centre of middle row

11 comments:

  1. I am alumnus of PCK too (1975-81) We have a PCKites group on Facebook for all students who studied at PCK. Since the centenary is coming up in 2016, we are searching for all PCkites around the world and would love to hear more from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a pckian from Kodaikanal

      Delete
    2. I’m a PCKian as well. Was there till 1977

      Delete
  2. My brother and sister - Michael and June Cryer, are in the photos above, two of my other sisters also went to the school, Pam and Susan, although Susan was the youngest of the four and only went briefly to the school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember June as a friend of my sister. if you she would like to contact her, please email me at mtrack@shaw.ca

      Delete
    2. This brings back lovely memories. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  3. all the girls I used to know......it seems so long long ago. What beautiful memories. I am still in contact from time to time with Helen Strachan. Was in PCK years 1951, 1952, 1953.
    Janina, Michael (deceased), Barbara, Boris (deceased) WALLAUSCHEK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Janina,

      I'm writing to you as the son of Mrs Winifred Almeida (nee DeSouza). She taught you in Presentation Convent Kodaikanal. My sister Janine was named after you.

      My mum is now in her 90th year. Do you remember her? If you do, I'd be happy to connect the two of you. Mum remembers you as being very pretty!!

      Warm Regards
      Noel

      PS: I looked up PCK recently thanks to a friend who studied there and voila Janina shows up.

      Delete
    2. I was also in Miss Winnie Desouza's class and have several photos of all of us. She was very nice teacher.

      Delete
  4. My name was Freda Gibson. My mother was the music teacher at PCK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Freda, I was just in communication with Felicity to tell her my sister Pam Cryer had died.

      Delete